A 670% split test win producing that much “lift” — in this case more leads — is pretty good, so I wanted to tell you about how we achieved this for a client this Summer. Split testing is part of smart Conversion Rate optimization (CRO) and so a key to the R.A.C.E. strategic marketing framework we use (the “C” stands for Convert).
I’ll begin by summarizing some key takeaways:
- Always be testing. Why? It is the single best digital marketing tactic for ROI, especially used in a smart sales funnel strategy. EVERY business can use this, B2B and B2C.
- Test everything from ads to landing page to emails… and in this case — popups.
- It doesn’t have to be a major design change you test — after hundreds of tests per year, we often find, as in this case” that a headline persuasion focus can make all the difference.
- Think persuasion psychology when writing headlines.
- Emails addresses are still gold — always deploy incentives your prospects want in order to get them.
- Use a tool that calculates how much data you need related to visitor traffic before you have a valid test. We’ll review one below.
- Always be testing and practicing the science and art of CRO — Conversion Rate Optimization.